Let’s say you’ve found the perfect used vehicle online. It fits your budget, seems to be in good condition and has all of the features that you expect in your next car or truck. But, before you get too swept away, you need to take the vehicle for an extensive test drive. After all, you want to be sure that the vehicle drives and runs well.
But, with that also comes the need for a thorough vehicle walk around to examine the exterior of the auto. There’s a lot to watch out for and many used car and truck shoppers forget this step because, in their mind, they are already sold on the vehicle.
Here are some areas to pay attention to when completing your walkaround inspection:
• Suspension: Ensure that the vehicle is level to the ground
• Exterior: Look for rust, paint chips, rough spots, cracks, ripples and mismatched paint
• Panels: Check for gaps between the door, trunk and hood panels
• Windshield: Look for chips, cracks or scratches
• Under the car: Check for fluid leaks under the car with the engine on and off
• Under the hood: Look for rust or cracked hoses
• Trunk: Assess the size and capacity
• Doors: Ensure they operate smoothly
• Tires: Inspect for uneven wear, remaining tread depth and damage
• VIN: Make sure the VIN matches any documents
• Outside lights: Test all lights to ensure function and look for cracks or condensation
If you notice any issues with the exterior of the used car, truck or SUV that you are hoping to purchase, review your concerns with the seller. Also, be sure to request a CarProof Report, which will provide more information into the vehicle’s history, including any accidents or liens.
Want to learn more? Then stop by Key West Ford! We are New Westminster, B.C.’s premier retailer of used cars and trucks with one of the largest inventories within the Lower Mainland.