Nowadays, automotive shoppers have more choice than ever before when it comes to buying a preowned car or truck. There are online buying sites, private sellers, dedicated used car lots, online and in-person auctions, and dealerships, like ours. Where does one even begin?
For most people, their comfort zone starts at the dealership level, which is a great way to find a quality used vehicle from a reputable seller. If this seems like the right path of purchase for you, here are some tips to keep in mind:
1. Work with a salesperson who understands and cares about your needs. If they are trying to push you into a certain make or model, consider buying elsewhere.
2. Always go for an extensive test drive (not just around the block) in any vehicle you are thinking of purchasing. If the ride quality feels off or it doesn’t meet your performance or safety specifications, move on to something else.
3. Be clear with “all-in” pricing and, if you are financing, be sure you understand the terms associated with your deal.
4. Only pay for additional products or services that add value to your specific ownership experience and needs, like an extended warranty, prepaid maintenance plan, etc.
5. Always ask to see a vehicle history report, like a CarProof Report, and a completed multi-point inspection by a trusted mechanic.
6. If there are repairs to be conducted or additional parts and accessories to be included in the deal (i.e. winter tires), get those conditions in writing.
7. It’s also advisable to get all disclosures and promises in writing too (i.e. no accidents, no floods, etc.)
8. Carefully read any contracts or loan agreements – once signed, these are final.
Remember: the best place to buy a preowned vehicle is from a reputable dealership with great reviews, a strong track record of customer service and a consumer protection plan in place, like our Buy with Confidence Program.
To learn more, contact us at Key West Ford today or stop by our dealership at 301 Stewardson Way in New Westminster, B.C. to speak with one of our knowledgeable sales staff. We currently have a huge inventory of preowned vehicles in all makes and models awaiting your next test drive.