Purchasing a used car, truck or SUV might seem like an intimidating experience, but it shouldn’t. As a buyer, you have the upper hand – after all, you can choose to buy your used vehicle from anyone or anywhere.
And, you can always walk away before signing on the dotted line if the vehicle doesn’t suit your needs or fit within your budget. You are the one who calls the shots!
You are also responsible for doing your own homework and asking the seller the right questions. Here are 14 questions that you should ask so you can buy your next used car, SUV or truck in confidence:
1. What is the overall condition of the car and its current mileage?
2. Has anything on the vehicle ever been replaced? If so, what parts and why?
3. Why are you selling the car?
4. Who did you buy the vehicle from and when?
5. Do you have the original bill of sale?
6. Did you perform regular oil changes and maintenance? If so, do you have the paperwork?
7. Are there any outstanding recalls on the vehicle?
8. Do you have a CarProof Report?
9. Can I see the VIN, the vehicle ownership and your ID?
10. Does the vehicle have any remaining original manufacturer’s warranty left? If so, when does that expire?
11. Did you purchase an extended warranty for the vehicle? If so, is it transferable and what does it cover?
12. Can I take the vehicle for a test drive?
13. Can I take the car for an independent inspection at my mechanic or local servicing dealership?
14. If a problem is discovered during the inspection, can we have the repair performed before I purchase?
Still feeling intimidated or overwhelmed with all of your options? Consider visiting a reputable dealership, like Key West Ford.
Unlike other used car lots or private sellers, we offer a huge assortment of quality used cars, trucks and SUVs in the Lower Mainland – and at great prices too! We also include a 129-point safety and mechanical inspection on every preowned vehicle on our lot, as well as a CarProof Report. How’s that for peace of mind?