Test drives are an essential part of the used car buying experience. It’s your opportunity to get a real sense of what the car or truck is made of and whether or not it’s a good fit for you.
This includes ensuring that the physical condition of the vehicle is up to your standards, that it drives well and meets your need for performance. It’s also an ideal time to test the accessories within the used car or truck to be sure that they are working well.
Here’s what to check when inspecting the accessories in a preowned vehicle:
• Windshield wipers and fluid control – do they function properly?
• Heater/air conditioning – does the car output hot and cold air?
• Vents and airflow settings – do they work efficiently?
• Mirror adjustments – if electronic, do all mirrors adjust properly?
• Doors and window locks – do they all work?
• Power windows or roll-up handle – do they function as intended?
• Power seat controls or lever bar – do they adjust to your comfort?
• Stereo and entertainment features – do they all work?
• Power outlets – do they work when you plug something in?
• Front window and rear window defrost – if it’s cold enough to test, do they work?
• Speakers – how do they sound?
• Horn – is the sound loud and clear?
• Clock – does it keep time?
• Steering wheel tilt adjustment – does it adjust to your comfort?
• Sunroof controls – does it open and close smoothly?
• Releases for the hood, trunk and gas cap – do they all function properly?
Remember, with any test drive, you don’t want to rush the process. Take your time, be thorough and make note of any issues that you find.
Want to learn more? At Key West Ford, we are your premier retailer of used cars and trucks in the New Westminster area. To view our extensive inventory of quality preowned vehicles, please visit our dealership today.