If you want to write well, it is important to be sure that you not only get down and start writing what is on your mind. That is good, but that makes you a story-weaver and not a writer.
With this, your focus should be on points that will cultivate writer habits in you and make you an actual writer.
1. Work on the proofreading skills: To be a writer, you need to proofread your novel
before you give it to a professional to work on it. This means that you need to learn the basic before you actually start writing. At the same time, it is important to be sure that you not only proofread your novel but everything you read. Reading an article in a magazine? Proofread it! Reading a blog post? Proofread it! Of course, the results of the same are to be kept with you only. Don’t share it with the authors. Do it just to improve the skill and not to show off your expertise.
Remember – you can be wrong too!
2. Participate in contests: There are so many contests going on for writers. Participate in some of them, and you might find yourself improving with every entry. There are many contests, and you can target those which suit your genre, style, and cater to your time restrictions. You definitely don’t want to participate to be disappointed, right? So, make sure you have enough time to write, revise, edit and be satisfied with the entry.
3. Take time off to write: If you seriously want to write, you should make it a point to look for a place that will cater to your needs and accordingly keep you happy with the time you get to write and write as much as you want. With plans to run away to a new destination, you should make sure that you not only choose the right place but even the right hotel. You do not want to pay an exorbitant price for the atmosphere you want to build. So, start looking for amazing hotels that are offering rooms at a reasonable price
Also, it is important to understand that inspiration is even a factor that should be considered. If the location selected is not inspirational, you'll be disappointed by the time spent at the place because you might end up paying a considerable price for nothing!
4. Read novels written by famous authors in the genre you wish to grow: Reading novels written by your favorite author isn’t enough. You need to read novels written by other others too so that you get the necessary dose of inspiration and learn different ways in which the same thing can be said.
5. Accept criticism: If someone is criticizing your work, you need to accept it with a smile on your face. Grins won’t help, but the ability to learn from the piece of criticism will definitely help. So, make a sensible choice and accept criticism